Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Park Where The Birds Roam Free

Now I never thought I would enjoy a visit to the Bird Park so much. I mean, my last visit there was during my primary school days, on a post-exam outing. But when I saw the programme Behind The Scene: Bird Park, I couldn’t suppress my curiosity about what goes into putting such a successful theme park together. Wouldn’t you be interested to know what goes on behind closed doors, after visitor hours?


On the 19th March, 25 students led by Ms Haslina and Ms Chia turned up bright and early for the programme. Then, in two separate groups, we began our tour, each group with a team of friendly facilitators.

The highlight of the day has to be the visit to the Lory Loft, where we had to prepare the bird feed and serve up a healthy and hearty meal to the birds. Essentially, the bird feed consisted of hot water, honey and rolled oats. Together, the recipe meets all the nutritional requirements of our feathered friends.


At the world’s largest lory flight aviary, which stand at about 9-storeys high, visitors can take in the natural habitat of the birds. We were told to stand with our arms stretched out, holding a cup of lory feed in each hand. The birds would then swoop down for their nutritious meal. As more lories came, I felt both excited and frightened. Later on, I found scratches on my arm left by the lories’ sharp claws. Still, it was a small price to pay for such a once-in-a-lifetime the adventure!


It was an unforgettable experience. We were grateful for the opportunity to get up close and personal with these feathered creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment