Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Literary Creativity - A Friend to Remember


As I was flipping through my photo album, my eyes fell on a photograph of my best friend, Rachel. My eyes remained glued to the photograph as a sad story flashed across my mind. All this is now only a memory.

I met her at the secondary school we attended. It was the first day of our school term. She was the shy type while I was just the opposite.

One day, I went to approach her and ask for her name. She introduced herself as Rachel. We went through the fun and boring times, ups and downs and soon found ourselves inseparable. When it was time to say our goodbyes after completing secondary school, I thought that I would never see her again.

Then our paths crossed when we bumped into each other during the Polytechnic admission. I was so excited to see her and also was Rachel. We hope that we would continue our friendship for many more years to come.

I remembered very vividly that fateful year. It was when we were in our final year. The incident that happened that fateful day became most unforgettable. One Sunday night, while I was packing my school bag, my mother entered the room with a worried look on her face.

I knew something was wrong. In a shaky voice, she muttered,”I’m sorry, Rachel is dead.” The words echoed in my ears and it seemed to go on and on and on. I screamed, “No, it can’t be! How, how did it happen?”

My mother sat me down on my bed and related the incident. It happened when Rachel was coming home from a game of basketball at a nearby court. A lorry hit her. She was flung several meters into the air before landing on the pavement.

My mother explained that the impact left her with severe head injuries. Rachel died on the way to the hospital. Tears streamed down my cheeks as my mother was relating the incident. I had not only lost a good friend but I felt that a part of me had also died at that very moment.

Not one day had gone by without me thinking of her and remembering that ever so sweet smile on her cheerful face. I can only pray and hope that she is now in an even more beautiful place from where she will always guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment