Friday, March 23, 2012

View Point - Vandalism or Art?

I was at Scape Park on Orchard Road on Sunday evening when I spotted a few teenagers spraying paints on the walls and dustbins. I think it was the first time I had witnessed such a blatant act of defacing public property. And in broad daylight, too.


The first thing that came to mind was how irresponsible those teenagers were. I was angered by their actions. But that night, as I pondered over the incident, I found myself strangely feeling sorry for them.

You see, this is Singapore – all pristine and squeaky clean. Everything is neat and orderly, everything in its right place, so that there is little room for creativity and expression. What these teens need is a simple graffiti wall to express their emotions through street- art.

Now if there was such a medium for repressed teens to ‘let go’ and express themselves freely, perhaps incidences of vandalism would be dramatically reduced!

Editor's note: The photo above is not the actual vandalism mentioned in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment